Monday, March 25, 2013

Arts in April Kickoff at the Chanhassen Library

True to my word about stepping things up with Sj Designs this year, I'm taking advantage of another opportunity to share what I do as a jewelry designer with the public.

As a kick-off for a series of "Arts in April" events at the Chanhassen Library, the library is hosting a program on Sunday, April 7th that will feature a variety of artists who also happen to work for Carver County Library.

Initially, I didn't answer the call for volunteers... I was thinking of a more traditional interpretation of the word "art."  I guess I don't always think about what I do as art or myself as an actual artist.  To me, artists are the painters, the potters, the photographers... not me.  It's not that I don't think of my jewelry design as creative or even artistic, I just haven't made the leap to consider it actual art.  Perhaps I'm selling myself short.  What do you consider as "art"?  What kinds of things "count"?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Anyway, after another nudging email targeted at myself and a few other individuals on staff, I decided to sign up to participate.  From 2-3 pm on April 7th I'll be at the Chanhassen Library showing off some of my jewelry and maybe talking a little bit about what it is I do.  I'm looking forward to seeing what sorts of art my co-workers are creating.  As I understand it, the participants will be speaking a little bit about their art, how they got started, what inspires them, etc.  Folks can take a look at what everyone brought and talk to the artists as they wander through for a closer look. 

Now I just have to decide which pieces to take with me and what I want to say.  Maybe this one... I think I'll focus on some spring inspired things since I'm ready for warmer weather!
For more information on the rest of the events planned for "Arts in April" check out the Library's Website or click HERE.  The programming is funded by Minnesota's Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.



No comments:

Post a Comment