Sunday, October 13, 2013

AJE Earring Challenge - Weeks 39 & 40

I've been pretty quiet since the Art Wander wrapped up since my husband and I have been off on a road trip to the South.  But I'm back now and the rest of the month should bring more posts from me as I attempt to get three design challenges completed.  (Hopefully the supplied I need for a couple of them have arrived while I was gone!)

But for now, you know what time it is, don't you?  Time for earrings, earrings, earrings! It's once again time for the Art Jewelry Elements Earring Challenge reveal.  The goal is to make one pair of earrings each week that features an artisan made component.

Once again this week I'm showing off two pairs with components designed/created by me, Sj Designs.  (I promise I'll be back to highlighting work from other artists soon!)

My first pair is all about copper and turquoise.  I etched a pair of copper blanks from Vintaj and worked turquoise paint into the grooves.  I did a little doming action, sealed them, and added these great chandelier cut Czech glass beads to finish things off.

Week 39


My second pair is a variation on a pair a made a while back in Week 16.  This time I went for a bolder color scheme with the turquoise and red.  I started with Vintaj brass circle blanks that I embossed and painted (and added some extra holes to!).  You can't tell it, but there is a faint shimmer to these where I mixed some metallic patina in with the protective glaze.  The red Swarovski crystals and blue Czech glass dangles give the design some movement and pizazz.

Week 40

I'll be posting more of my jewelry exploits soon, but for now enjoy the earrings that everyone else made this week!


2 comments: