Monday, August 17, 2015

Art Bead Scene August 2015

The inspiration for this month's Art Bead Scene challenge is a sandpainting weaving by Navajo weaver and Medicine Man Hosteen Klah.  You can read more about the artwork and the artist over on the Art Bead Scene blog HERE.  It's pretty fascinating stuff and I know I won't do it justice trying to summarize!

Summer Thunder
BHosteen Klah
Weaving, Wool
I really try to find art beads in my own stash for this and other monthly challenges instead of shopping with them in mind.  Not that I never run out to buy one or two things that I'm in need of to finish a design, but I really try to use challenges as a reason (excuse?) to use some of the things I already have.  It's the kick in the seat that I sometimes need.

Anyway, with that philosophy in mind, the color palette was a bit of a challenge for me.  Brick red isn't heavily represented in my bead hoard, and what I do own mostly didn't lend themselves to the inspiration artwork this month.  I was thinking that I might give up when my eyes rested on some Victoria Red enameled filigree beads from Painting with Fire Studio.  Eureka!


The beads are a little bit bigger than what I would normally wear as earrings, but not crazy huge so I went with it.  I added some Red Creek Jasper dangles and a bird charm to bring in some of the ? colors and the bird motif from the weaving.  

I thought I would stop there, but then I decided to go ahead and use the third (and last) enameled filigree bead to whip up a coordinating necklace.  I have a compulsion to match so I try to make sets when I can.  I whipped up a little chain fringe dangle and wire wrapped the enameled bead with some more Red Creek Jasper, and blackened accent beads.


5 comments:

  1. What a serendipitous find with those enameled beads! I especially like the necklace with that cool chain tassel. You've created a wonderful set. I'm still stymied by this month's piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great set! I love the design of the necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too suffer the no red in my hoard, I mean stash and at the last minute find a bead to use lol. A great find with those beads the set is just Marvolous and love your tassel stacked Necklace design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your earrings! The red enameled beads add perfect color to your design.

    ReplyDelete